Sunday, May 15, 2011

Menabrea Ambrata (G. Mebrea e Figli


Let's go to Italy! Shall we? Another one I'd never heard of, picked up at ye olde Ale Jail.

G. Menabrea e Figli, Casa Fondata nel 1846, Amber beer/birra ambrata

Why did I buy this? Because I have never seen it before, never had it, and it looked interesting. I have no idea whether it will be. Only one way to find out.

Dusky amber red coloration, lasting creamy head. Looks nice.

Grassy/ herbal aroma, very lager-y. Just a little musky, a trifle off.

Taste: clean and smooth, nice malt component, little hops, a whiff and a huff of fruit. A tiny bit of bitterness emerges, but it remains a malty amber lager. Consumable, refreshenating, gulpable, and altogether nice.

But, need it be said, not for me, though I'm glad I tried it!

No comments: