Sunday, May 22, 2011

Unibroue Raftman


Notes from May 2003, bottle tossed back couple days ago:

Wearing a color of golden orange, topped with a bold, bright white and bubbling champagne-like head of foam, Raftman shows promise from the start.

In the nose, a unique and mysterious character begins to show itself: heady, deep, musky, sweet, yet strong, touches of citrus, and the definitive stamp of whiskey. The more I drink it in, the more my imagination stirs...am I in an enchanted forst, a magical glen? Feels peaty, maybe a little smokey, lush with rich malt, and citric hops persisting.

Texture is rought and tumble at first, slowly giving way to a tasteful play on the tongue and palate. Lemon/orange flavor returns again. Mouthfeel is very warming. Full bodied.

I can't for the life of me figure this beer out, and maybe that's okay, in this case. I've had different reactions every time I've had it, liking it more each time. A most unusual ale. Unibroue is most adept at crafting unique beers, and this is definitely one of those.

No comments: