Friday, May 20, 2011

Surly Moe's Bender


One personal thing about reviewing beers: I never want to do them on the fly, scribbled on napkin, coaster, or notebook, while in the company of others, or in a noisy, dark, crowded environment. Festivals are out, due to those factors, as well as the small serving sizes. Any other beer events, as well, especially if I'm around friends or engaged in social interaction.
This is one reason I've never checked a cask version of Surly off the list. And Moe's Bender has been elusive for all those reasons as well.
Some history: Moe's Bender was invented about two years ago (if my fuzzy memory serves at all) when Surly-fan Moe Reignier had a birthday going away party at McKenzie's in downtown Minneapolis, and Todd Haug decided to make a new version of Coffee Bender, adding vanilla and cocoa nibs. I didn't make it down and only heard the tales and legends of how amazing it was. My next opportunity to taste was at a festival, and the stories were true, it was utterly delicious. But how could I get a full pint to drink down in my leisure, and have a proper experience for a satisfactory review? Not easy.
My next taste may have been at Darkness Day 2010, October of last year. Omar brought out a full 1/2 barrel keg of both Coffee Bender and Moe's Bender. The guys pouring were doing a slow job, so I stepped in and pumped away. Many people remember that, especially the guys with coke bottles or miller light cans they wanted me to fill for them. Nuh-uh, says the Surly Nazi, "no Moe's Bender for you!"

For Surly's anniversary month, there were many opportunities to get my mitts on one, but the same difficulties were present. Especially at our party, when we tapped it at opening (4 pm) and the 16-gallon keg was gone by about 8 o'clock. I think I covered this sad situation in the Bell's Batch 10, 000 entry. Casks at special events when I'm working pose the same problem.

So, here we are at the end of Craft Beer Week Minnesota, and Todd's making bigger batches of this brew, enough for many of the establishments hosting events. Enough for the Blue Nile, even. I didn't know I'd get one until Wednesday, so I started promoting an event around the tapping as soon as I could, and it worked, people showed up right off the bat,(not so many (as on the anniversary event, but that was different, of course)and as of this writing, 10:45 pm on Friday, they're still coming in to drink up the Moe's, while the African crowd here for the Marimba Africa, they stick to Heineken, Guinness, and fruity cocktails. There should be enough left to last another day or two.
I took notes on my first pint, about an hour ago. Enjoying my second now. Here are those notes:

At last in my grasp, Moe's Bender…

dark brown with transparent, crimson footing, slim cocoa-tinged head.

If I remember correctly, the cocoa is coming from Guatemala, and the vanilla from Zimbabwe…? Or, maybe another African nation? The coffee is the same

Aroma: soft and spicy, warm and inviting, a complex and beguiling mix of chocolate and coffee with vanilla underneath, but slowly rising.

Taste: espresso tones come first, just the smallest bit bitter, but not an iota harsh or astringent. Very mellowed by the cocoa, charmed by the vanilla. Medium-bodied, with a strong flavor, and a long finish. Becomes languid and creamy.
Settles sweetly on the palate. You'd think it would be a tug of war, a cacophony of flavors, but it's nothing but harmony, melody, and deliciousness.

Every sip begs another, the flavor finds a lovely place in the mouth and it beckons out, "don't let me leave."

Halfway into the pint, it only makes my mouth happier. This joy spreads out through the senses, and touches the soul. Deep down contentedness.

In other words: "ahhhh…"
Furthermore: "Mmmm…"

No comments: