Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Three Floyds Alpha King


Here's what Alpha King looks like in 2019. My notes
from 2011 (and 2004) continue unaltered.
Three Floyds Alpha King Pale Ale.
6.66% ABV. 68 IBU
Three Floyds Brewing, Munster, IN.

Visits to Wisconsin means more Alpha King! Used to be a staple back when it was available locally in the late 90's/early 00's, and I can't fathom why I didn't review it in the early days of note taking. The brewery's line disappeared here when the local distributor dropped the brand in 2002. A trade in 2004 got me another bottle, and I took these notes in May of that year:

"When I was first introduced to this beer, I was warned that it wasn't for everyone, and at the very least took some getting used to, after all "it's not normal." I'd already had an affection for the hops, and, well, it was love at first sniff and sip.

Years later, after the bloom of fresh infatuation has mellowed, how does the beer compare, especially after this tongue has met so many others, with abundant charms? That is what we seek to discover...

Perfect crimson-tinged nectarine hue, hazy, and blessed with a beautiful bed of froth up on top, leaving delicate lace, enticing the eye. Aroma makes matters worse for the thirst, big fruit, fresh hops, peachy, melon, orange, and, yes, mango, and more, a bountiful bouquet that keeps the nose happy and hoppy. Man, but I need a taste, though!

An explosion in the mouth, the hops are a bursting throughout, but so well buttressed by malt, that any bitterness is mellow and well smoothed out, after an initial bite, at least. Like chomping into a ripe tangerine, juice splashing on the corners of the mouth and dripping down the chin. Though hoppiness flows freely, and bitterness peeks through time and again, the mouthfeel is actually soft and luxuriant, body is medium, and the overall effect is a constant joyride for the palate. A lively and rewarding ale, and a real American classic, a jewel in the craft-brew crown. Count yourself lucky if you can grab these with ease.

Ah, I once had it on-tap around here...those were some fine days..."

I had it on tap in fall of 2001, one keg that went fairly quickly, but was replaced by the seasonal Summit Oktoberfest. Those were the days when I didn't rotate the taps as often as I do now. By the time I decided to make it a regular offering, it was too late. For reasons that have something to do with it being contract-brewed by August Schell, All Saints dropped it that summer.
The handle hangs above the bar as part of my collection, and it probably the most remarked upon piece. People often wonder if it's a joke, or if we got it as a gift, or bought it on eBay. No, folks, it was real, it really happened, and you missed it.

A bold yet balanced American Pale Ale with slight caramel sweetness and aggressive citrus hoppiness. This is our flagship beer.

No comments: