Thursday, July 21, 2016

Modist Wasteland

Modist Wasteland. 7.5% ABV, Modist Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

Dark brown coloring, full, rich off-tan head, lasting long, staying strong.

Aroma: sweet, malty, nutty, fruity....arrestingly complex. What's in here? What's going on? Moderate hopping. Interesting, intriguing. Compelling.

In the mouth: deep malt, rich and spicy, soft and warm, and delightful. Exquisitely likable. Medium-bodied, long finish, malt forward, nicely hoppy,  and ....there's nothing more to say, I keep coming up with the same words! But what's the problem when those are the right words? None, except when people think you're some ninny who can't string out inscrutable sentences saying the same thing, only more long winded and maybe a whiff more pithier. Who's doing that? I hope no one. So, what am I worried about? Probably nothing.

There's a whole lot more of this beer to drink, long after I spent the words on it, and it's still damnably delicious. (Oh. I didn't use those, right?)

I will now look at the gobbledygook, cobbled from the website: BREWED WITH 60+ % RYE, THIS BEER REALLY PUTS YOUR TASTEBUDS TO WORK. A BIG, JUICY MOUTHFEEL THAT STARTS SPICY AND FINISHES WITH A CITRUS BITE. JAM PACKED WITH APOLLO, CASCADE, AND COLUMBUS HOPS, THIS DANKALICIOUS BREW WILL LEAVE YOU HOP HEADS WANTING MORE.

Okay, okay, just stop yelling at me! First off, I hate the phrase "dankalicious", but acknowledge that I cannot kill it by myself. Won't you help me and vow to never use it yourself, and always hurl a brick at anyone who does?

Secondly, ...nothing. That says it. The most ambitious Modist beer yet, soon to be eclipsed by others, I'm sure. As for me, I enjoy the heck out of it's very existence. Weird, wonderful and utterly uncategorizable beers like this make me glad for the future of craft beer, here and everywhere.

No comments: