Friday, July 22, 2011

Poperings Hommel Bier



Poperings Hommel Bier, Brouwerij van Eecke, Watou Belgium. Number 3 in Belg-a-Rama #8. First written about back in July, 2003. From a bottle. Now on tap, displayed by our lovely model, Madeleine. Here's what I wrote then:
-----------------------------
Appearance: a bright, but cloudy gold, crowded with a myriad of microscopic swimmers dancing hither and thither about...head is the big, bubbly type of any good Belgian ale, lacey, fizzy.

Aroma: Sweetness and spice, loads of sugar, hints of fruit( orange, foremost) and sidenotes of sour, as well.

Mmmmm, big, quick hop attack, that fades and allows Mr. Malt to come to attention.
I'm picking up that thing that I find myself yearning for in my senses' memories, when I've been too long away from a good Belgian ale: the glorious taste of yeast, sugar, spice, malt, hops...a warm, bready feel, though lovely, uplifting.

The meager 7.5% starts to reveal itself, and is most welcome right about now.
Light/medium body, medium, tasty finish, taste overall is very mellow but sparkling with flavor, and displaying an unforgettable character.
I still don't know what a "hommel ale" is, but it doesn't matter, I liked it too well to care. I could go through quite a few of these, and be very happy!
-----------------------------
I know what a hommel is, now and where they come from. They grow them in Poperinge, those hops.

No comments: