Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Grimbergen Dubbel

As some astute readers have ascertained, I have a fondness for the Belgian abbey dubbel style. This one, from the Brewery Alken-Maies,  is not among my favorites. A bottle fell into my possession, thanks to a distributor sales rep, but my opinion is the same as in February, 2005, when I wrote these notes:


Deep plummy brown color, with bright crimson highlights streaming through...nice, though brief and slight, layer of fizz floating above.

Aroma: plum, raisin, date, maple syrup, dark fruits, deep cherries, grapes, ...intriquing, but not exceptional....

Taste: More of those same flavors from the nose here in the flavor, dark fruits aplenty, deep and plentiful, this is a nice double, but not in the realm of the transcendent. Nutty, fruity, dark, and just a little yummy.

Full-bodied, with a long, fruity finish. A nice drinker, easy going, I'd recommend it, but not over any other dubbel...plenty of other tasty beers out there. I'd urge you to acquaint you with them, and not to worry about this one. I've tried it, time to move on to the next....

No comments: