Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA

Drinking now, with notes from July, 2004, shortly after it's initial release:


Hazy golden, near-unto-peachy hue in appearance, with an impressive showing of white foam in the head.

Aroma, fresh, piney, citric, pineapple, very nice...just right, hops are abundant, but rather mellow, actually, not too razzle dazzle, soft , yet sure. After more sniffs, I admire the nearly nakedness of the hops, the pure oiliness...very beautiful, indeed! Mmmmm!

Taste:nice texture, roundly rings the mouth, but, alas, doesn't maintain it's ground too well, I'm afraid.
Let's give another try...delicious, I've gotta say, freshly fruity, with a hoppy quality that sweetly swims in the mouth, but unfortunately, doesn't stay too long at play on the palate. I'll try it again...yum, bright, sweet, hoppy, tasty, then all fades and is nearly forgotten.

 Hops and sweet fruit remain high, but the balance is very delicate.
I like it, though, I'd drink it by the bucket-ful. Very tasty, though it lacks in any kind of hoppy sting, as well as malty blanket that I feel are necessary for a top-rank IPA...one guy's opinion!

No comments: