Wednesday, October 31, 2018

12welve Eyes Clout Chocula Cereal Milk Stout

A couple weeks ago, I made my second visit to the Twin Cities premiere spectacle-themed brewery, 12welve Eyes in St. Paul, which I will always pronounce "twelve-welve", because that's how it's spelled. Once again, I was hanging with Ed. I decided to take home crowlers this time, and when Ed saw my selections, he told me, "you got one I liked, and one I didn't." This is the one he didn't. But, you know me, I take the bad with the good. I try to avoid the bad when I can, but sometimes you gotta just try.

12welve Eyes Brewing, St. Paul, MN. Clout Chocula. Cereal milk stout. 4.9% ABV.  12 IBU. Canned on 10/18/18.

Solid blackness, with nice brown head.

In the nose: some sweetness, which starts small and grows and grows until the adjunct addition of sugary cereal is quite apparent. Not bad, actually.

In the mouth: more sweet and malty from the top. Body’s on the lightish side, minor hop presence, just a little unbalanced. Actually, it’s fine for a milk stout, but if they really did add Count Chocula to it, there were no improvements. They’d have been better off using real chocolate instead of a gimmick adjunct.

Breakfast Cereal beer? Pass.







No comments: