Thursday, November 1, 2018

Barrel Theory Xtra Basic Imperial Stout

Barrel Theory Xtra Basic Imperial Stout w/ pumpkin, coconut, vanilla, and spices. 10.2 % ABV. 10/16/18. Barrel Theory Brewing, St. Paul, MN.

Utter blackness, rich, dark brown head, shadowy, dotted, fully opaque.

In the nose: starts out fruity, vegetal, sweetness and smooth, with vanilla revealing, plus cinnamon and more. Hey! There’s the coconut!

In the mouth: right out of the gate, yum. Flat out yum. Coconut takes command on the palate, with an overarching sweetness that’s never too much. Full-bodied, rich, delicious. Vanilla & spice are around, too, with a good deal of chocolate.

I feel compelled to use a phrase I despise and call it a “coconut bomb”, but it’s well-balanced and so very tasty. This is well worth whatever I paid for it ($16? I think?) and I want to go back and get another before it’s too late.

(P.S. I waited too long. It's long gone.)

No comments: