Sunday, November 4, 2018

Gray's Honey Ale

Gray's Honey Ale. 4.78% ABV, 12 IBU. Gray's Brewing Company, Janesville, WI.

I have in my hands a can of Gray's Honey Ale from Janesville, Wisconsin. Fourteen years ago, I took notes on what I can only presume was a bottle of said beer. I will now drink the can and look back on the notes that I posted in September of 2004 and see if I was wrong, or perhaps the beer has changed, or, am I still right? Let's see. Here come the notes:

Ultra-clear, pale honeyish hue, thick, fat fizzling white head, that zips down in nothing flat.

Nose is softly herbal, lightly sweet and honeyed, a little citric, leaning into sour. Not crazy about it, really.

Taste: too, too mild, bearing little in the flavor department, not even the advertised honey tastes. Very light bodied, short on texture, limp in the finish.  Even irritating...I can't find much to like in this one. So sorry, I really held up hope, but it's just not working out. Too, too blase'...cheers to anyone out there who digs this, but don't count me among the crowd.

I really like the bee on the label, though. Pity there's no close-up available here, he's really a demented looking bug!

So? I have to concur with my younger self. This is wholly unremarkable. There is some honey in the aroma, but the flavor is a total washout. Nothing here at all. And the demented bug is gone, replaced on this can by a man with a beard of bees. Why, he couldn't grow his own? That's no excuse.

This is actually very bleh. I may need to reverse my no drain pour policy.

No comments: