Sunday, November 25, 2018

HeadFlyer DreamShake Juicy Milkshake IPA

HeadFlyer DreamShake Juicy Milkshake IPA. 7.2 % ABV. IBU: 0. HeadFlyer Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

I keep saying that I should stop trying milkshake IPAs, and I keep breaking that promise. When will I learn my lesson? Maybe this is one that will change my mind? One never knows.

Hazy, cloudy, dull orange color (rather unattractive), with a slim dingy white head atop.

In the nose: Tropical fruit notes, pineapple and mango, blended with some citrus tones, too. Sweet.

In the mouth: Slightly bitter, some vanilla, a bit creamy, but...it doesn't come together very well. Orange is apparent. And it's interesting, but not especially cohesive. Once more, it bears little resemblance to an India Pale Ale, and oughtn't be called such.

The malt base interests me. It seems to give off a little bit of chocolate flavor. Can that be right?
Altogether, it's not unpleasant. But if you tell me this is an IPA and hand it to me, I'm not gonna dig it. Vanilla and lactose do not belong in an IPA. Yeah, but it's a "milkshake", you say to me, and what do I say back?

I won't say, because my Mom might be reading this.

This seems to be very popular and well-received, so my opinion means nothing.

It was all a dream, lactose, orange zest and vanilla bean. We took our Juicy IPA base and made it into a milkshake. Get it while it's hot!

No comments: