Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Founders Ultimate Oktoberfest Imperial German-style Märzen Aged in Bourbon Barrels

 

Founders Ultimate Oktoberfest Imperial German-style Märzen Aged in Bourbon Barrels.

10% ABV, Founders Brewing, Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I may have had an Imperial Oktoberfest before, but this may be my first barrel aged I. O. What’s that like? Let’s find out. 

Crystal clear, bright amber hue, small white head.

In the nose: big bourbon at the start, vanilla meets charcoal, oak on top of rich malt. 

In the mouth: caramel sweetness plus alcohol heat. The märzen beneath is recognizable, but largely covered by barrel character. A part of me wants more bourbon, but a wiser part of me says No, This is Enough. Spicy, sweet, oaky, malty, rich and tasty. 

I’m enjoying this. Glad I gave it a go.

Roll out the barrel…the bourbon barrel, that is! We’re taking the classic German-style Marzen and kicking it up a notch by adding the smooth, rich flavors that only nine months in a bourbon barrel can provide! Get out your Lederhosen and prepare for an intense wave of Bavaria Hysteria – Ultimate Oktoberfest is here!


No comments: