Friday, November 4, 2016

Bent Brewstillery Maroon & Bolder Double IPA

This is a bit complicated.

A few months ago, Jason and I biked to Roseville and stopped at the Bent Brewstillery taproom, where I bought a growler of this beer. I cracked it open, took notes, and saved them in a draft of what will one day be my report on this place, which I will soon get to writing, I promise you.

And the next day, a sample can of the same beer appeared for me at Acadia, and I was told that it was imperative that I tell the Bent representative what I felt about the beer ASAP. But, I didn't. My notes still sit in that "draft", unread by anyone, and that can sat in my fridge. It's a good beer, I thought, but I wasn't going to go out of my way to order it. (Too many other DIPAs at the time.) (And now, again, I have just enough.)

So, I'm going to open the can and review it. And later, when I write up the review on the taproom, you'll see the review from the growler. And that's how it's going to be. So, here we go:

Maroon & Bolder. Double Infuriatingly Passive Aggressive MN Double IPA. 9.5% Alc. by Vol. IBU: 100+

Dark, reddish-brown coloring, vast cream-toned head, looking great.

Aroma: Big malt sweetness, large and full of richness. High hops, too. But malt keeps time with it, that's for sure. Big and bold and not too bitter.

In the mouth: rich malt and plenty fruity. Sweet, then bitter, then bitter, then sweet. Malt meets bold hops on palate. Tasty stuff. It's big and bold. Wait, I said all that, already, right?

From the can: "Maroon & Bold is back and bolder than ever. This 5th anniversary of M&B is loaded with MN hops and malt lending hints of citrus, hay and sweet toasted marshmallows. Dank, spicy, smooth & malty, yet packs enough hoppy brightness to get you through even the darkest Minnesota winter."

Well. I like it. Let's leave it at that. (How's that for Passive Aggressive?)

No comments: