Sunday, December 4, 2016

Allagash Evora

Recently, I received a surprise visit from some folks from Maine that I'd I'd never met, but known for over a decade. Stan, aka, "purplehops" on BeerAdvocate was one of the first people I'd ever traded beer with way back in the early 2000's. He'd held onto all of his contact information over the years, and he and his wife Heidi popped into Acadia to pay me a visit while in town. Incredible. And gave me this amazing Maine beer. What a wonderful beer world that we live in. Thanks to Stan and Heidi  I'm going to have some Allagash for the first time in years. Evora, ale aged in brandy barrels, Allagash Brewing, Portland, Maine. 8.5% ABV.

Hazy, bright golden hued, large, lasting ivory head.

Funk comes first in the nose. Nice and sour. I don't know what kind of bugs or barrels (beyond the brandy, I guess) are at work, but it's nice. Is it a Belgian style at the base? Saison, blonde? I'm ever so curious.

In the mouth: Soft, warm, wonderful, Just enough funk for the tongue to handle, nice and smooth and delicious. Can't say the brandy barrel aspect sticks out too much,  but whether it's pronounced or not, it works. Nicely soured, funky, fresh, and tasty.

From the label: "Evora is a golden hued ale with aromas of tropical fruit, honey, and spice. Citrus, oak, and earthiness dominate the flavor and give way to hints of bread crust. Malty and robust, this medium bodied beer finishes fruity, dry, and slightly tart.
We brew this beer with Maris Otter Malt and flaked oats, and hop with Sorachi Ace, Hallertau and Northern Brewer. Evora begins fermenting on stainless steel with a classic Belgian yeast strain, then moves over to Portuguese Brandy Barrels, where it ages with Brettanomyces Bruxellensis for over a year."

No comments: