Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Oliphant dg2c2mf (don't get too close to my fantasy) Rye Saison

Last month, Oliphant Brewing of Somerset, Wisconsin started self-distributing in Minnesota, beginning with Stillwater, and later that week five of their beers appeared on tap at little ol' Acadia Cafe, the first place in Minneapolis to pour their beers. Why us? Because I love them so, that's why.

Those beers were: Eleventacles, Gobias, Steve Durkel, Awesome Juice-Great Job!, and dg2c2mf (don't get too close to my fantasy), which were all the beers they offered at first. The first three have already appeared here, and Awesome Juice left our taps before I could take notes. I've never reviewed dg2c2mf (though it was perhaps the first Oliphant beer I ever tried), so I want to get that done before it disappears, too. And the notes follow:

Clear, pale amber coloring, with active carbonation, and a slim white, soon gone, head.

In the nose: lightly spicy, fruity.

In the mouth: more fruit (stone & citrus), even more spice, and that little extra kick from rye malt. Light bodied, easy drinking, refreshing, and ever so tasty. The rye malt really grows on me, in this one. Spicy, smooth, delicious. A nice and tasty saison.

Not entirely sure why they felt like naming it after a Ween song, but I should know better than to question the absurdity that Oliphant bandies about. After all, their motto, Let Unreason Reign,  comes from The Brotherhood of Dada from the 90's Grant Morrison-penned Doom Patrol comic book.

But, I can't help but think of these lyrics whenever I see the tap handle and pull a pint:
Don't get 2 close to my fantasy
Don't be afraid to clutch the hand of your creator
Stare into the lion's eyes
And if u taste the candy
You'll get 2 the surprise.

In the 90's I listed to Ween and read absurd-ist superhero comic books. I saw Ween in 1992, at Seventh Street Entry, and it was one of the strangest nights of my young life. I'd recently found out that K., a co-worker at Shinder's Readmore Bookstore, who was many levels of cute, had a crush on me. But at the same time, something seemed to be starting up with J., a friend I'd admired from afar for years before we met, and was umpteen different kinds of gorgeous. And they were both there. At one point, I asked K. if she wanted anything, and I meant from the bar. "I want you, Al, " she cooed seductively. But I couldn't act on this, in her drunken state, and with J. around, if I wanted to keep that going. I hit the bar a few more times, and my stomach couldn't handle the mix of whiskey and beer, and I had to find somewhere to spill out it's contents. The bathroom was occupied, so I stumbled backstage to empty my guts. (could I have made it outside? probably not.)

Many years later, my nephew got a bootleg copy of that show, and heard the voice of one of the Weens remarking, startled, that someone had thrown up backstage. I always think of that when I think of Ween, and now whenever I think of this beer.

And think of what might have been, and what never went down.

Don't get 2 close to my fantasy
Don't be afraid to clutch the hand of your creator
Stare into the lion's eyes
And if u taste the candy
You'll get 2 the surprise.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing story