Monday, December 26, 2016

Fair State Frontenac

Fair State Frontenac, barrel-fermented pale sour ale, in collaboration with Fulton and Oakhold. 5.6% ABV, 22 IBU.

Clouded, hazed, apricot-ish appearance, slim white head.

In the nose: it's all full of the funk. Barnyard aplenty here, old socks, litter box, and wine barrels. Nice.

In the mouth: Big pucker time. Bracingly and beautifully sour, coating the palate. Pucker never stops. Beyond that, smooth and refreshing. Lip-smacking delicious, light bitterness, altogether tasty as heck.

From the label: "A barrel-fermented pale sour ale produced in collaboration with Fulton Beer & Oakhold Farmhouse Brewery, aged in MN Frontenac & Marquette barrels from Parley Lake Winery, and brewed with malts from Malterie Frontenac, Quebec.

Another in a string of great sour ales from Fair State. I've have not been giving them enough attention, although I intend to, for they are one of the better breweries in Minneapolis, and are really one of the front-runners in innovation and experimentation.

Why haven't I been keeping up with Fair State? That whole across the river thing. I've only been there twice in 2016, and have not been keeping them on tap at Acadia as much as I want. Also, when I see them at the stores, the prices are a bit much than I can do. This one was $18 at a local store, but it's worth it. I need to drink better, drink less.

No comments: