Sunday, December 11, 2016

NorthGate Brewing Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout

Northgate Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout. Northgate Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

Deepest, darkest blackest coloring, utterly impenetrable, slim ring of foam around the glass.

In the nose: big bad bourbon all the way, char, molasses, cocoa, caramel, every mark of rich and dark. Vanilla notes sneak through. Slightly hot. Somewhat fierce. Defiantly big.

In the mouth: Rich and thick, big and bold with flavor, hot with alcohol (12.1% ABV!), and the feeling is only growing stronger. This is a beer for tonight, our biggest snowfall yet this winter, and the world is white, but the chill in the air is so bitter that we have to crawl into our safe spaces and cry out for comfort. This is doing the trick. This emboldens our every timid corner and allows us to be brave again. I want to live in this bottle, in this glass, stay where it's safe, with the chocolate and molasses, and marshmallow, vanilla and cherry, and just damned deliciousness.

I got this big old bottle for nearly $15, and wish I'd saved it for sharing. But, I've got to taste it for myself, that's what I do. Maybe get another for a tasting party.

No comments: