Thursday, March 23, 2017

Surly SeVIIN--3.5 years later

Way back in July of 2013, I sat down at the bar at the Blue Nile with a glass of Surly SeVIIn Ale from a freshly tapped keg and wrote up my notes for this blog. At the end of that review I wondered how the beer would improve with age. I've had a few bottles in the intervening years, but never thought to take notes and record what might have happened. Now that it's 3 1/2 years down the road, going on four, it's time.

And, you know what? I really ought to reduce the ol' cellar in preparation for my move next month. So, last night I peeled off the wax, poured it into a glass, and wrote this:

Surly Seviin. Trappist yeast, 3 malts, rye, wheat (first time at surly), and oats. 12.5 % ABV. Topped off with brettanomyces.

Burgundy coloring, rich creamy foam atop, lasting long, leaving lace, looking lovely.

Aroma: sweet, creamy, fruity, marshmallowy, orange, tangerine, bubblegum, ...all kinds or craziness.

Taste: mmm, sweet. Raisins. Caramel. Cream. Plums. Yum. Yu-um. Sweetness, and deliciousness, and very cool and mellow.

Have three years worked some magic here? Maybe, I think.

No comments: