Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Surly Trip Hop Triple Dry-hopped IPA

Surly Trip Hop Triple Dry-hopped IPA. 
"Trippy Triple Dry-hopped.:
10.4 % ABV. Surly Brewing Company, Twin Cities, MN. 
So, today is a day, as have been other days, when a number of people have voiced their opinions about Surly Brewing. It was two days after the announcement that they're thinking about what to do about their Beer Hall employees announcing their intent to unionize that they've decided to close the Beer Hall, in two months. And they are immediately called Union Busters. And Omar's being called all kinds of names. And people are saying they'll never drink their crappy beer again.

What do I think? Closing the Beer Hall due to COVID and dealing with the union are two different things. Bad timing. Things could have gone a lot better over there in the past 4-5 years. But, I'm going to continue to try their new beers out, but not all of them. I don't play favorites, except when I do. And I haven't bought everything new they've put out in quite some time, for various reasons. 

Just for fun, here are a few Surly beers I have not had: 

* Bender w/ Fruity Pebbles.

* Carrot Cake Infusion

* Cornholio

* Creamsicle Kolsch

* Furious Old Fashioned

* Horchata Darkness

* Me and Billy Dee Malt Liquor

* Pancake Party

* Tiki Todd the AxeMan

and so on, and so forth. Most of those were festival-only, or tap room-only beers, though I have certainly passed-up many at the store. Still haven't tried the Oktoberfest this year, but I may, I just may. And this one I nearly passed up because of my rule against 4-packs that exceed the $16 mark. This one went for 19.99. I didn't like paying that, but I felt like I had to try it out.  Here come the notes: 

Lightly hazy and orange. Stable cap of ivory froth on top.

In the nose: Citrus and candy. High sweetness, looming alcohol.

In the mouth: Sticky und icky. Bitterness grabs at the palate. High hoppiness and dominant dank. Juicy, very ripe, getting into real candified territory. Big bad ABV isn't too scary yet, but it's getting there. Smoothish, despite the strength. Grabby mouthfeel. Yeah, I called it "grabby", and I mean it. 

This is a tasty treat. I do wish I'd held on the fourth can, but I didn't think my notes on can #3 were good enough, so I cracked #4 to come up with better words, then decided they were. Or, maybe I'll come up with more...we''ll see. 

It's hot, juicy, strong, intensely hoppy, a good nightcap, for sure. 

BREWED FOR UNFINISHED SYMPATHY

The beat drops and the bass throbs in this tricked-out take on the triple IPA. Dry-hopped three times with a massive attack of Lotus, Amarillo, and El Dorado hops for an intense, high-decibel blast of of hop flavor.

TRIPLE IPA
COLOR
Gold

HOPS
Amarillo
El Dorado
Lotus
MALT
2-Row
Acidulated
Carafoam
OG
YEAST
English Ale
IBU
High
ABV
10.4%
SURLY MN USA

No comments: