Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Bell's Double Two Hearted Ale Double American IPA

 Bell's Double Two Hearted Ale Double American IPA.

11 % ABV. 91 IBU. Bell's Brewery, Comstock, MI. 

I made a last-minute switch-up when I saw this 6-pack. The store was closing in two minutes, I had loaded up my cart, but there it was, this Bell's DIPA I've heard of, but never seen, nor tried. Out you go, some other beer, this baby's coming home with me. 

Clear, burnt orange coloring, slim, but lasting white head. 


In the nose: Big malt, and big hops, too, but oncoming outsized alcohol. 11%? Whoa, Nellie! We're really treading into hoppy barleywine territory, this time. Ripe fruit aromatics, powerful and pungent. 

In the mouth: This one screams out hotness from the get-go. Deep, rich, bold and burnished. Highly hopped, bracingly bitter, with a fire around the edges. Popping pine and citrus in the flavor, and dripping out the booze in a dangerous degree, 

Drink slow, rest, relax, luxuriate. Outsized and unrepentant. This one goes to eleven. 

It's crazy from the heat, and, despite the audaciousness, it's irresponsibly delicious. Once I brought this one home, I cracked one open, and by evening's end, I'd downed two more. Not the smartest way to spend a quiet night. One, once in a while, responsibly, and with the comfort of the bedpost close at hand. 

I can only hope to make my immoral reports a tale of caution for the wayward ones out there to mend their winding ways. 

I did say delicious, though, and I meant it. 

Everything you love about our classic Two Hearted® Ale... now in a double IPA. With two and a half times the amount of Centennial hops, Double Two Hearted® has intense pine and citrus notes, a resinous hop aroma and rich malt character.

No comments: