Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Barrel Theory Hüftgold Hefeweizen

 Barrel Theory Hüftgold Hefeweizen.

5.2 % ABV. Barrel Theory Beer Company, St. Paul, MN. 


Last week I found myself in St. Paul, and hoped to see these guys and bring back some crowlers. Unfortunately, they only sell them curbside, with ordering done online or over the phone, and they haven't yet opened the taproom, during our current uncertainties in the time of COVID. I didn't feel like dealing with that, so we skipped B.T. Luckily, there are still some local liquor store that carry their crowlers, and I found a few of their stalwarts that I've already reviewed, and this one. I'm looking forward to see if they've made a Traditional HefeWeizen that stands up with the great craft beers that they're famous for. 

Lightly hazed, bright golden hue, large, lasting, and lace-leaving white crop of foam on top. 

In the nose: Slightly sweet, citrus and spice, orange and clove, Bavarian-style delights. 

In the mouth: Medium body, creamy mouthfeel. Smooth, wheaty texture. Moderate hops. Easy-drinking, refreshing as they get. Classic, nearly note-perfect. Yum a dum dum. 

This is not the first hefeweizen from Barrel Theory that I've had, but it's the first one that I've enjoyed. I sampled one at the taproom nearly two years ago. (I seem to make it out there only about once a year, a trend I need to actively work on putting in reverse.) I wasn't thrilled, it didn't hit the right notes, and I despaired in the notion that these guys were only good at fruited sours, hazy IPAs, and pastry stouts. Now, I'm happy to see that that was just an unfortunate blip. 

No comments: