Thursday, September 24, 2020

Bell's Octoberfest Märzen Lager

 Bell's Octoberfest Märzen Lager.

5.5% ABV. Bell's Brewery, Comstock, MI.

Oktoberfest (or, in some cases, like this one, "Octoberfest") is one of those styles of beer that I like and enjoy, but don't get too into, really. I mean, I'll drink them, of course, but I don't go out of my way for them, and tend to stick to other stuff. This is why after all the years that Bell's been making this beer, I finally picked up a 6-pack. I was amazed to see I've never checked into it on Untappd, either. I must have picked it for the taplines at Acadia or Blue Nile, at least once, right? And then, forgotten to check in, or write a review. And, here we are. Oddly enough, I think I've posted reviews of Sierra Nevada's version more than once. What do you know. 

Now, on to the beer: 

Clear, amber-hued, slim white head. 

In the nose: Rich, malty aromatics, caramel and honey. 

In the mouth: Sweet, malty, clean and balanced. Rich, earthy malts flavors, moderately hopped. Good balance, hitting all the right notes for the style. Easy censurability. Good märzen, and you can drink it. 

Crafted as a flavorful session beer, Bell's Octoberfest Beer is perfect for a week-long wedding celebration in Germany or the start of the Michigan autumn. As with Bell's Lager Beer, Octoberfest spends a full six weeks maturing in the fermentation vessels. Unlike its cousin, Octoberfest trades in the assertive hop presence for a focus on a light caramel malt note, lending body without too much sweetness.

I say moderate, they say assertive hops...I think about it for a while, yeah, it's clinging to the palate. You could say I'm so inured to the hops that it takes a lot of bitterness for me to find it out of place. 

No comments: