Saturday, September 5, 2020

Pryes Mutually Inclusive Mango

 Pryes Mutually Inclusive Mango. Cuvée-style Smoothie Sour. 

5.4 % ABV. 15 IBU. Pryes Brewing, Mpls., MN. 

So, here we have one half of a collaboration with Drekker Brewing of Fargo, ND. Instead of combining their skills and imagination to craft one beer that they would brew in tandem, two beers were produced and distributed by the disparate brewing entities, and the consumer is required to locate them and blend them together in one glass by themselves. Of course, this becomes a difficult endeavor, to find the two beers, especially since Drekker beers are so highly sought after, and tend to sell out quickly wherever they are sold. That is why I have the one (purchased for $3.99 for the one can), and not the both. I couldn't get to the store fast enough. Or, maybe I could, but I just didn't make that extra effort. Priorities. 

Something threw me off about the labeling of the beers and the use of the term "cuvée-style". What on earth does that mean? In all my years in beer, I have known that this term is utterly meaningless and merely refers to what the brewmasters wish to regard as "their finest." In wine, it is used to denote a particular tank, batch or blend. However, I will simply lift from Wikipedia here...The term can also apply to beer, or to chocolate to refer to a batch that is blended by the manufacturers to produce a certain taste. Many lambics and gueuzes—sour beers with wine-like characteristics—are marketed as cuvée. When referring to beer, ale, or chocolate the term has no defined meaning, but is meant to evoke images of higher quality—similar to the use of "reserve" for wine in areas where the term is not regulated by law.

I guess I can see where they're coming from, to take that meaning from wine and applying it to what they're doing...but it's the first time I've encountered this expression and it really threw me for a proverbial loop. "Huh, Cuvée isn't a style..." Maybe it became a style while I wasn't looking. I try to keep up, I surely do try...

So, enough of that. I got on the hype train and picked a can of a style I surely shy from, normally...the fruited smoothie sour. If the label says "smoothie" anywhere on it, I am very careful not to put it in the cart. 



All hazed-fied. Bright orange, Slim to no head. 

In the nose: funky, fruity, mango-y. 

In the mouth: Ooo! Tart from the start, followed by juicy, pulpy mango-y flavors. Sour and sweet at once. Medium bodied, easy-drinking, refreshing. Plenty of sour, loads of fruit. What makes it "smoothie", though. I'm not getting the mouthfeel I'd expect from that appellation. Let's see if we can find out. 

Designed to be combined with Drekker's cuvée counterpart. Experiment with mixing flavors or enjoy each on their own. Our brewers have come up with a way to create something together, from far apart.

Well, that didn't tell me anything. Is there lactose & such to make this a smoothie? I can't taste it. But, I can taste the mango and the sour, and they work together pretty well. Not bad at all. 

What would it be like when blended with blackberry? I can only dream.

2 comments:

DeKay5555555 said...

When you started this blog, did you ever think you would be describing beers such as this?

Al McCarty said...

Ha! No.