Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Eastlake Black Daze DDH Hazy IPA

Eastlake Black Daze DDH Hazy IPA.

6.5 % ABV. Eastlake Brewery, Midtown Global Market, Minneapolis, MN. 

Lightly hazed, bright orange hue, slim white head. 


In the nose: Bold citrusy aromatics, with a side dish of tropical. 

In the mouth: Jolt of bitterness and assertive hop flavors blast the palate from the start. Then the juice commences. A bath of juicy malt and bitter hoppiness, and next a turn to the dry side. This playful tango continues from one sip to the next. Medium bodied, with a long, bitter/hoppy finish. Grapefruit, tangerine, and mango, among other juicy flavors keep the party going. (There's a party in my mouth...and everyone's invited!)

This one I liked so much that I had three of them on the first night after bringing it home. It was a 4-pack of 16 ounces for only $13.49 at South Lyndale Liquors. I hope they still have some next time I visit. 

Double dry-hopped juicy IPA. Hopped with Mosaic, Amarillo and Rakau. Tropical, with notes of mango and plenty of pineapple. Resinous and quite dank. Using Gulo yeast, the beer is dry and citrus-forward.

This can has some of the best artwork on an Eastlake label to date. Black Daze is a graffiti artist with colorful and creative pieces all over town, up and down Lake Street, and in spots very close to the Eastlake brewery. It makes me wonder, though, about how one hires a graffiti artist to do a beer label. They're not in the Yellow Pages. Did they reveal themselves to the brewery at the bar? Did someone who knows someone who knows them lead them to the gig? I wonder about everything. 

I have since noticed that the artist's email is on many of their works, so what the hell am I going on about?


No comments: