Monday, January 18, 2021

Hammerheart Midvinter Ol 2020

Hammerheart Midvinter Ol 2020. Aquavit Barrel-aged Black Ale brewed with spices. 

12 % ABV, Brewed and bottled by Hammerheart Brewing, Lino Lakes, MN. 


I have checked into Hammerheart Brewing 70 times on Untappd. Let's look back at some of them: The Fire of Muspel on tap at Acadia back in February of last year. Ah, the before-times. Nehushtan on tap at Acadia, November of 2019. Lingonberry infused Surtr's Flame, September, 2019, Acadia. Flaming Longship, Thor's Imperial Porter, Dunkenwald, Leif's Lager, all kegs that I chose, ordered, tapped and served at Acadia. Next, Valkyrie's Tears, a bottle, purchased at 1010 Washington, in March of 2019. Then some more bottles, also bought at that store, right around then. 

It's been that long since I've enjoyed some Hammerheart from a bottle. They're actually doing the 16-ounce can 4-pack thing now, and as you can tell, I've haven't brought home any of them, which is a source of great shame. There's no excuse for it. (Here's a hint about why: I keep chasing after IPAs.) I have been working for nearly 4 months at a store that tries to keep stocked with all of their cans at all times. I'll fix that soon. But before that, another bottle. (But first, another note. I've had the bourbon barreled version of this, back in March of 2018, also on tap at Acadia. First time for this one, though.) 

Solid blackness, rich brown head of foam, complete opacity. Looking great. 

In the nose: Spruce makes a splash, before bowing before chocolate, molasses, dark fruits and more. Aquavit even shows up for a bit. Complexities upon complexities. 

In the mouth: Rich, thick, boozy and dangerous. I can feel the barrel effects, but the nature of the aquavit escapes me. I haven't had enough to know. But I'm getting it...like a vodka or another clear spirit (tequila) with spruce dripped over it. And the richness of the dark ale below it. A luxurious treat that can't be beat. Small bitterness. Great balance in a very big, boisterous beer. Alcohol starts booming. 

And I dub thee: Yum a dum dum.

A dark roast beer inspired by traditional Scandanavian Jul Ol. Rich and slightly bitter with a touch of spices for the beauty of snowy Minnesota winters. Aged in Game Ode Aquavit barrels for several months. 

No comments: