Monday, January 4, 2021

The Brewing Projekt Skullduggery West Coast IPA

The Brewing Projekt Skullduggery West Coast IPA. Double India Pale Ale with Simcoe, Centennial, and Amarillo. 

7.2 % ABV. The Brewing Projekt, Eau Claire, WI. 


This is the 5th appearance of The Brewing Projekt in the Nib over the past three years, including that collaboration with Oliphant. This is curious, since their last appearance was in July, and yet I haven't bought any of their beers since, though new ones appear almost weekly at the retail store where I currently work. People say that they're creative, but I think they're promoting illiteracy. They can't spell "jungle juice" right, or "smoothie", or even "project", for goodness sake. All the labels look like outtakes from Adventure Time. Everything's a variation on a smoothie sour, or is called "Puff" or something. And anytime they make a regular ol' IPA that's not a milkshake or a some shit, it's always $17-$20 a 4-pack. Who needs it!

And then I saw this one. $14.99. West Coast style. Double IPA. Okay, let's try it out, and hope they don't pull a switcheroo and make it a hazy without saying anything, as is the custom these days. 

Holy Crap! It's clear! What the---?!? Bright golden, too, with an ample stash of ivory head on top. I never would have believed it. 

In the nose: citrus and pine with a special added pungency, all very lively, bold, and almost aggressive. Highly likable, this. 

In the mouth: Exactly what I'm looking for in this style. Big hops, big bitterness, 100% piney and citric. Medium bodied, slight sweetness, all the classic West Coast hop bitterness ringing in full effect. And the alcohol content isn't quite high enough to really call it a double IPA, I am feeling something and the hop presence on the palate feels double enough. Tasty hoppy treat. Even, if I may, yum a dum dum. 

I give this one my firm stamp of approval. Although, I can get Ninja vs. Unicorn for $4 less, so I may not pick it up too often. Still, nice surprise from these guys. 

No comments: