Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Waldmann Barrel-aged Dopplesticke (Special Altbier)

Waldmann Barrel-aged Dopplesticke (Special Altbier).


So, you guys. I've been meaning to write more about Waldmann Brewery in St. Paul, and talk about my visit back in August, as well as my first time there in September of 2019. And I wanted to pair this with a review of one of their beers. I've never bought a crowler there, for each time they weren't available. I've enjoyed them via gifts from my buddy Ed and from South Lyndale Liquors, where I now work. I waited too long, however, for reasons too tedious to detail to you, my friends. Suffice it to say that it is finally time to move this blog off of blogspot. Once I can attach the photos from those visits, I make that post my priority number one. 

Meanwhile, I keep trying to stay on top of their offerings in crowler form, though I've failed a few times. Some of their beers have sold out before I can bring them home. So, it's time to write up the ones I've been sitting on, since it may take a little while to get that bug fixed. 

But, I'll say this. Each time I visited, whenever I posted pics on facebook or instagram, I got more likes than anything, with the exception of when I post pics of my internet-leery mother on her birthday. People flat out love this place. Waldmann truly is a treasure. 

But, on with the beer: 

9.5 % ABV. Waldmann Brewing, St. Paul, MN. 

Semi-clear, dark brown hue, slim brownish head. 

In the nose: Barrel effects blanket everything. Vanilla, cherries, whiskey, leather, oak, all smothering the doppelsticke underneath it all. Not that I'm complaining. 

In the mouth: Sweet, rich, malty, boozy. All those bourbon barrel flavors from the nose come to rest on the palate. Barrel flavors grip the senses. Malt flavors from the doppelsticke below are conquered completely. Again, not that I mind. Waldmann keeps their experiments German and unique. Someone else might barrel-age a doppelbock, but not these guys. I keep loving what they do. 

This is utterly delicious. I did not mind paying $16 for the crowler, a price a bit too high for me, usually. Now, I'm thinking that I need to pick up another, before they're gone. 

I'm not kidding, you guys. I'm calling this one: yum a dum dum. Mark my words. 

No comments: