Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Wild Mind Black Is Beautiful Imperial Stout

Wild Mind Black Is Beautiful Imperial Stout. with Coffee, Maple, Cinnamon & Sea Salt.

9.5 % ABV. 60  IBU. Wild Mind Ales, Minneapolis, MN. 


Utter and absolute blackness, throughly opaque, rich brown head, lasting long. Love this look. 

In the nose: Holy Ravioli! Powerful aromatics pouring out of this one. The maple, thick as sap, the coffee, cinnamon and cocoa...whoa. 

In the mouth: All those flavors convene on the palate, none jostling or jousting for position, all in a lovely line. Not quite thick or viscous, but round, smooth, cool, calm and collected. Nothing sticks out over others. Maple isn't too much, nor cinnamon. A beautifully balanced beer, with only the large alcohol content threatening to crash this quiet convocation. This one is also never too sweet, despite the opportunity for it, though it gets close. Cinnamon rises up to take a bow, but sticks it out to close the scene. 

I was going to begin an embargo on maple beers in my regular diet, much as I've been steadfast in eschewing the use of marshmallow, and then I realized that this one was up next. But, it's not overboard. This broad display of flavors actually works. And I like it. Altogether enjoyable. 

Black is Beautiful is an Imperial stout brewed with maple, cinnamon, coffee from Up Coffee Roasters, and finished with a touch of sea salt for a more intense flavor profile.


1 comment:

DeKay5555555 said...

Maple Syrup can overtake a beer and ruin it, though it worked for me with Hop Barrel's Paul & Babe's Breakfast Ale. Not being fond of coffee nor maple syrup, but liking blueberries, they struck a nice balance.
Also, cinnamon, which I am suffering through with a discounted ($3.99)six-pack of Goose Island Lost Palate Hazy IPA with mango and cinnamon.
I never liked tasting cinnamon with meat nor do I with beer.
Since I have not been to Wild Mind since early 2020, and I just yesterday enjoyed Brian's Baby West Coast IPA, that is close by and shall visit it soon.