Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Urban Growler De-Lovely Porter

Urban Growler De-Lovely Porter.


5.6 % ABV. 33 IBU. Urban Growler Brewing, St. Paul, MN. 

Here we have a beer I checked into on Untappd three times in 2016, twice on tap at Acadia from a keg I ordered and tapped, and once when I visited the taproom with my two nieces (to be clear, I have more than two nieces, but I only went there with two of them). But I haven't had it since, for whatever reason, most likely that an IPA or pale ale was calling me. I found a single can finally, and it was settled. Time to drink some De-Lovely, a name inspired by a song from that famous Porter, Cole. 

Dark brown coloring, almost opaque, slim brownish head. 

In the nose: Slight sweetness, notes of caramel, cocoa, nuts. Delightful. 

In the mouth: Bittersweet at the front, roast and slightly toasty. Moderate bitterness, well balanced all around. Cocoa and caramel notes dance on the palate. Medium bodied, smooth, satisfying. Delicious. And, of course, D'lovely. 

I like this porter. And I can't explain why I waited four years to revisit it and enter it into the Nib. Going to try not to make that mistake in the future. 

It’s delightful, it’s delicious, it’s De-Lovely. Smooth and dark yet refreshing. You don’t have to wait until the snow falls to enjoy this dark beauty. Enjoy. Try it with some of our Spinach & Artichoke dip

No comments: