Sunday, January 3, 2021

Oliphant Gorb Hazy India Pale Ale

Oliphant Gorb Hazy India Pale Ale. Double dry-hopped with Cryo Mosaic and Amarillo Hops.

7.5% ABV, Oliphant Brewing, Somerset, WI. 



I had to make it out to Oliphant one last time this past year, on the very last weekend, (thanks to Dave K!) to pick up the remainder of my beers from the Smug Club program. Won't be rejoining as the rewards have diminished, and it was perilous enough to get out there a mere three times this  last year. They were open for take out growlers and cans only, although there is no shut-down of bars and restaurants in Wisconsin. Just extra precautions on their part. Had to get some merch, too, like this glass you see in the pic.  I have too many glasses as it is, but the collecting continues. 

And the collecting of beers, as well. This will be the 127th appearance of Oliphant in the Bitter Nib, behind the top brewery, Town Hall, at 199, and ahead of #3, Surly, with 124. I guess I must like them.

On with the beer

Hazy, bright golden, lush and lasting white head. Looking good. 

In the nose: Bold, vibrant hop character bursts onto the olfactories.  Powerful citrus and portions of pine.

In the mouth: A festival of hops pops on the palate. Dry and juicy in equal amounts. Quite lively dance of bitterness that tickles the sense. Refreshing and delicious. This one's got what it takes in all the right places. 

I like this. I'd like it in a six-pack, I'd even like it in a 4-pack. I don't like it more than Lizardize, but I'll pick it in a pinch. 

I still don't know the story of Gorb, let alone Gorb Gorb. But, check this out: on the label for this beer, a pink skinned character in lotus position is concentrating while some green energy emanates around him, all this while the eye of a horned reptilian beast is directly behind him, as it opens its jaws. On the label of Gorb Gorb, that eye is seen in a darkened cave behind the pink figure, while a club-wielding barbarian in an Oliphant logo shaped helmet looks on from a distance. What does it mean? Somebody help me. 

As for the difference between Gorb and Gorb Gorb, I think its booze. I'm going to drink one next to find out. 

No comments: