Monday, May 3, 2021

Junkyard Alleviate Triple IPA

 Junkyard Alleviate Triple IPA. With Strata , Bru-1, El Dorado, and Cryo Azacca. 

11.1 % ABV. Pkgd 04/16/21/ Brewed and packaged by Junkyard Brewing, Moorhead, MN. 




First off, a question that's been on my mind a bit. When did breweries start with this "triple IPA" stuff? Who started it, and why? I remember the days (there I go, membering again), when you had an IPA that's above 8% ABV, and it could go up to 10 or 12 or more, but it was still a double IPA. But now we have these different strata. I brought it up with an employee of BlackStack, who not long ago released a 12 % "quadruple IPA", and he set me straight. According to the BJCP these days, he told me, the Double IPA ranges from 7.5 % to 9.5, while Triple IPA goes from 9.5 to 11.5%. Above that, they use quadruple, and where does that end. 

I look at the BeerAdvocate listings for Imperial IPAs and they have not yet divided this structure. Bell's HopSlam (10%) is still called a Double, not yet re-registered as a TIPA. Dogfish Head 120 Minute  (18%) has not become a septuple, thank goodness. Scrolling through that style on BA, sorting by ABV, there are a heck of a lot of 11% & above Double IPAs out there, hundreds of them, all over the USA, and the world at large, very few of which needed to call themselves triples or quadruples or quintuples, or what have you. 
These trends! I tells ya...

Enough of my prattle, let's see what a Junkyard Triple IPA is all about: 

And, again, they get me. Nothing on the label about it, but...

It's all cloudy, like they all are, dull orange/golden color, mightily murky, with a slim white head. 

In the nose: Hoppy, fuzzy, pineapple, orange, grapefruit and pine. All kind of leafy, green things. 

In the mouth: Climbs on the palate smooth, sweet, a little chalky/fuzzy/yeasty. Fruity, juicy. Plenty of citrus and tropical notes from the hops popping on the tongue, and swimming about the palate. Lean bodied, moderate finish, mild bitterness. Starts to get sharp as the looming alcohol looms. And then it hits, and it's good. Nice and mellow. 

Ultimately, though, it's too sweet and fuzzy and has almost no bitterness, which is what I want in a double, or triple IPA, not just huge alcohol. I need huge hops, too. Maybe that's just me. They tricked me, man. 

It's not what I want from a "triple IPA", but I'll enjoy it all the same. 

Kick back, relax, and rid the stress of the week with Alleviate TRIPLE IPA. Our brewers loaded this beer with Strata, Bru-1, El Dorado, and Azacca. This IPA boasts huge aromas of melon and is complimented by tropical flavors of mango and pineapple with a soft, smooth finish. 

No comments: