Thursday, May 13, 2021

Full Sail West Coast Style India Pale Ale

Full Sail West Coast Style India Pale Ale.


7 % ABV, 70 IBU, Full Sail Brewing, Hood River, OR. 

Is the West Coast IPA my favorite style of beer? I still maintain that the Belgian abbey dubbel holds that status, but for casual, easy drinking that's not too rich or too strong or too expensive, I reach for a West Coast IPA any chance I can. Any time I see one, I'll give it a whirl. This time it's a West Coast IPA from Full Sail Brewing of Hood River, OR. This is the third appearance of Full Sail in the Nib, and the first time since 2014. Looking on BeerAdvocate, I have reviewed 18 of their beers on that site, between 2002 and 2010. Since starting this blog, I either haven't seen them that often, or haven't had that much interest in their work. This beer only recently arrived at the store where I currently work, and it was brewed in September of last year. The bottles were dusty when I opened the case. Why are such old bottles arriving in our market?

Other questions: Did I buy this 6-pack because it's a style I lean towards so often, or because I wanted to give Full Sail another try after so many years, or because it was only $8 a 6-pack? Maybe all three...but the third option is the strongest candidate. 

Clear, with a slight chill haze, bright golden, with a prodigious ivory head, looking fantastic. 

In the nose: Bold, vivacious, bristling with pine and citrus. Right on the money. 

In the mouth: Asserive hoppiness climbs on the palate and spreads citrusy goodness all around. Grapefruit, orange, and lemon, with a side of grass & pine. Medium bodied, easy-drinking, for the hopheads among us. If you're not into hop bitterness laying long on the palate and coating the tongue and every other crack and crevice that interfaces the senses, you're best of staying away. Dry finish, nearly brittle, but beautiful and quite delicious. 

Just about as note-perfect of a WC IPA as you're going to find. Once more, I waited until bottle #6 to take the notes. I might just have to pick up another 6-pack. (Although, I'd prefer them fresher.)

Pale malt, oats, and wheat combine to create a golden base allowing Cryo Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe, and Ekuanot hops to shine. Beautiful aromas of tropical fruit, citrus, and melon are well complemented by clean malt notes. This refreshing beer is high on hop aromatics yet well balanced.

 

No comments: