Sunday, May 16, 2021

Straffe Hendrik Brugs Quadrupel Ale

Straffe Hendrik Brugs Quadrupel Ale.


11 % ABV, Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan, Brugge, Vlaanderen, Belgium. 

This is the final bottle from a 4-pack that I took home for free because I provided my boss with the motivation to get all of the 17 (or was it 19?) new SKUs into the system, so I could get them on the shelf for the thirsty Belgian beer fans at the retail location where I currently work. Funny how that works. 

And once I had my first one, I was surprised. This was only my second time drinking the Straffe Hendrik brand. I had reviewed the now-discontinued Blonde 18 years ago, on BeerAdvocate. I was not impressed at that time, but what did I know then. But, still, my low score was not far from the average. 

Except, wait, that's wrong. According to Untappd, I checked in on this one in March of 2012. Then, why no review here in the Nib? That's just not like me. Did I have a friend over, or host a tasting party, and someone brought a bottle, and I said, "fuck it, let's drink it", with no review? Again, not like me. But, a little like me. I've always eschewed reviews in social situations. Did I host a tasting party of March, 2012? Or did I just bring home a bottle and guzzle it, no review? That's definitely not likely. 

Anyway, let's drink it...

Dark brown/burgundy color, fully opaque, creamy, beige-toned head rests atop. Looking great. 

In the nose: Dark fruits and Belgian yeasts. Figs, raisins, dates, berries, with that unmistakable whiff of the Trappist styles. Earthy,  yet angelic. Flashes of cocoa and caramel. 

In the mouth: Deep and dark, while smooth and creamy. Big, malty, boozy, full of vanilla, caramel, cocoa, dark fruits, and that inexpressible Belgian thing. Full-bodied, and full-delicious. This big, boozy one is sending me off to dreamland, making the perfect nightcap. I love a good quadruple, and this is definitely one. 

Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel, launched in 2010, is an intense beer, dark in colour and full in taste.

The aroma is elegant, spicy and slightly roasted. 

The sophisticated blend of special kinds of malt give the beer a complex character, combining a delicate dryness with hints of coriander, dark fruits, anise and roasted chestnuts. The palate finishes in a syrupy taste.

The refermentation in the bottle creates a living beer that will evolve over the years.

Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel finds an excellent partner in chocolate when it comes to foodpairing.

No comments: