Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Pantown Classic Cream Ale



 Pantown Classic Cream Ale.


5.5 % ABV, 14 IBU. Pantown Brewing, St. Cloud, MN. 

And here we have something rare: I am going to drink a crowler of cream ale. It is not a favorite style of mine, so I would rarely if ever choose one to take home from a brewpub or taproom. But, it was given to me and according to the regulations and bylaws of this blog, which rules my life, I must drink it and write about it. So, away we go. 

Pours out clear, bright golden, with pretty much no head. Maybe it had one when it was fresh. It was not my fault that it sat as long as it did before it was given to me, but I am to blame for leaving it in the fridge for over a month. If there are pale ales, IPAs, or stout chilling, I'm just not going to reach for a cream ale. 

In the nose: Lightly malt, few hops, fairly innocuous. 

In the mouth: Lightness and moderately malt mouthfeel. Slight grainy texture. Nothing but smooth. Minor hops. Nicely textured. Goes down effortlessly, exactly like a cream ale should. Definitely drinkable, and rather tasty, too. Not bad at all. I believe I will finish it all. And then, turn to something hoppier, as is my won't. 

But if you like cream ales, go ahead, don't let me stop you. 

When I first heard of this brewery, I didn't know what "Pantown" meant. It turns out that it's a neighborhood in St. Cloud where once there was an automobile manufacturing plant owned by a man named Pandolfo. This beer is named after one of it's cars, hence the auto on the label. The owners of the brewery are fairly obsessed with the whole thing. 

This beer is as approachable as it is tasty. A style of beer originating from the late 19th to early 20th centuries, the workers at the Pan Motor Company likely enjoyed many Cream Ales. Made with Pale malts, 20% Corn, fermented with ale yeast and cold conditioned. This beer offers a slightly sweet taste from the corn, yet a nice crisp finish from the cold conditioning. The Classic Cream Ale is the perfect beer for a weekend at the cabin, or a day at the quarry. A perfect gateway beer for those new to craft beers.

No comments: