Thursday, May 6, 2021

Barrel Theory Alligator Swag Hazy Double IPA

Barrel Theory Alligator Swag Hazy Double IPA.

8.1 % ABV. Barrel Theory Brewing, St. Paul, MN. 


I hadn't been in a retail store other than the one that I currently work at in over seven months. I decided to see what I was missing, and stopped at another local establishment that I'd neglected all this while. One of the breweries we are not currently carrying is Barrel Theory, I was glad to see them there, and I wanted to stick them back into some kind of rotation. This means that my choices will likely be among fruited sour ales, pastry stouts, and hazy IPAs. That is why, once again, I have transgressed against my boycott on the hazies. (I feel that I should always explain it when this happens. Bear with me.)

All thick-like and clouded up, cast in a deep orange hue, large, long-lasting lace-leaving white head. 

In the nose: Bright and beautiful, shining out citrusy goodness, blasting waves of orange, lemon, grapefruit, with a side order of tropical tones, too. 

In the mouth: Bold and juicy on the palate, with a brace of bitterness, to boot. Nice balance between sweet and bitter. Medium bodied, excellent drinkability, starting juicy, but ending each trip on the palate with a dry finish. Soft and fuzzy, while still retaining some hoppitude. Sunny and yummy. I mean, yum a dum, dummy. I like this one. (Though I'd still like it better if it weren't "hazy.")

Hazy double IPA with Nelson Sauvin and Strata hops

No comments: