Monday, May 3, 2021

Fuller's London Pride Original Ale

Fuller's London Pride Original Ale.


4.7 % ABV, 30 IBU. Fuller's Brewery, London, England.   

This post marks only the fourth time that the beers of Fuller's have been in the Nib. According to Untappd, the last time I had this one was in 2013, but it doesn't say where I had it. At a bar, I'd guess. If I had it at home, I wouldn't have missed the opportunity to include it in Ye Olde Blogge. (but I'd bet that that's what happened, because those things do.)

So, I bought a single bottle at work, and will now drink it while I look back at notes from nearly 18 years ago, 4/28/2003:

Dark bronze color, medium amber at the edges, with a nice 3/4" fluffy white head. 

Aromatics are soft, creamy, herbal, with a touch of spice, and a little hint of fruit, with a hint of apple and citrus. 

Assertive hoppy bite upfront on the palate, which slowly, softly subsides. A touch of copper exists as well. A little caramel malt flavor, too. Texture and body are mild, with a good, lasting finish. For a "pub ale", quite good. Not the sort of brew that I'd write a sonnet upon. It tastes good, but not enough to divert your attention from the dartboard.

This exists solidly between their ESB and IPA. And that's OK.

So, that's what 2003 me said. I'd leave it at that. IPA? I haven't seen their IPA in years, and haven't thought about it in even longer. Looking back, 2002 me ripped that one to shreds. I ranked it 15.4% below the average. For the London Pride, I was only 6.1 % below. 

Brewed under the watchful eye of our Griffin since the 1950s, London Pride is unmistakably London's beer. With its well-rounded flavour and rich history, everything about this authentic, characterful beer binds it to our capital city and the people who love it.

Cask: 4.1% ABV

Bottle, Can and Keg: 4.7% ABV

No comments: