Sunday, May 2, 2021

Wooden Hill Code 3 Juicy IPA

 Wooden Hill Code 3 Juicy IPA. 

"We're a small batch brewery that's been sharing the joy of craft beer since 2018, Cheers!--James & Sean, Owners, brothers, brewers."

6.5 % ABV, Wooden Hill Brewing, Edina, MN. 


And now we have for you the first appearance in the Nib of a beer from Edina, MN. It is my fifth time having this beer, the fourth can from a 4-pack, and that pint I had on visiting the brewery back in 2018. Nick, Jason and I biked there together on a Sunday, the final stop among several brewery visits, starting at Wild Mind, if I remember correctly. Lots of pedaling that day!

And we got them in at the retail store where I currently work. At a tasting with staff, several managers declared it too hoppy for them. I found it...well, you'll find out. Of the four beers (or beer-like things) we brought in, among them a Pina Colada seltzer, a kölsch, and a "Cinnamon Crunch" brown ale, this IPA was the first to sell out. So, let's drink it: 

Before I do that, I've got to stress: Guys, get a graphic designer, an illustrator, someone to help with these dull, uninspired labels. They are drab and lifeless, while also busy and confusing. 

the beer, though: 

Appearance: Clear, bright golden hue, large and lasting ivory head. 

In the nose: bold and hoppy, citrus and pine aplenty. Right on the money. 

In the mouth: Bold, aggressively hoppy, bursting with juicy, fruity flavors. Orange, grapefruit, pine needles, fresh, zesty, delivering gobs of hoppy goodness. Tantalizingly tasty. Medium bodied, with a long, hoppy. bitter finish. Hop bitterness never leaves the palate and continually pleases the senses. 

On the other hand, it's not particularly "juicy", but neither is it very dry. Juicy enough, though. Why not use a marketing term, if it helps, I guess. What I've found, though, is that this marketing term leads certain individuals to imagine that there must be some kind of addition of fruit juice to have that appellation applied.  They're out there, believe me. 

A very successfully brewed American IPA, just the way I like it. Kudos, Wooden Hill. And I knew I had to enter this one into the Nib once I read their unapologetic disclaimer that you will see at the end of this statement: 

Our nod to the brave men and women of Emergency Medical Services, a Code 3 is the radio signal for lights and sirens. This bold IPA is triple-hopped with a juicy blend of Mosaic, Citra, and Cascade. Not Hazy. Not Sorry.


No comments: