Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Minneapolis Breweries Day by Day #11: Venn Brewing and Batch #16 Double IPA

Minneapolis Breweries Day by Day #11: Venn Brewing, with Batch #16 Double IPA.

Belgian-style Tripel
#11. I keep going back on the bit about seeing the breweries first that I haven't been to in the longest. For some of them, it's for good reason. The attraction just isn't there. You go where you're pulled to, and I really want to check out Venn again. It's been three weeks since my first stop, and I heard they had new stuff. Also, this is the first time the temperature has been in the twenties in weeks, it seems. We can let go of the ear-muffs, strip to two two layers in stead of 4 or 5, and occasionally take our toques off.

It's Sunday, January 7. I got on a #23 taking me through South Minneapolis via 38th St. most of the way, off at the light rail station, hop on until the next stop at 46th St. and there it is. I found a spot at the bar and the taproom manager Hilary greeted me, informed me of the new beers that had come on since my last visit, and even remembered my name, having met me once. I like that a lot.

Once again, I had friends in the place. Erin, Brian and Jonathan were at a table not far away, and the Sisyphus crew were doing a post-Holiday get-together. I did a lot of visiting, had a lot of visitors. And got my fill of good beer.

Batch 19, Scottish Export
First up, the Batch #11 Belgian Tripel. "Spicy, fruity, strong" went the description. They go with the three word thing here, like so many others. 9% ABV. Peppery, nearly hot. Smooth-Ish. That's what I wrote. And I liked it, it delivered the goods. Doesn't belong next to Tripel Karmeliet,or other exemplars from Belgium,  but not a bad stab at the style.

For beer #2, I chose batch #16, and it was one of the reasons I chose to visit the place this day, The double IPA, and I took it home in a growler. So, I'll skip the bar stool report and give you the notes from the growler below.

#3 was the Batch #19, Scottish Export: toasty/roasty-y, malty, dry
and delicious. Just where you want it. A good ol' drinking' beer. 4.5%. Here you go, everybody, come on in.

English Pale Ale. 
Did I have a fourth? I did. Batch 14, British Pale Ale. Sweet 'n' malty slightly hoppy. Smooth 'n' tasty, not bad in the least.

"Floral, toffee, toasty" is their official triumvirate. (Tribunal? trifecta? tripod?) See above. 4% ABV.

Four beers (not all pints) was enough, a nice little session. Back to the light rail, a quick bourbon at Northbound while I wait for the next bus, then home. And a few days later, I opened this one:

Batch #16: Double IPA. 9.6% ABV.

To the eye: clear, citrus-tinged, golden-ish, tangerine-y, with a lush, full, creamy-toned head. Looking great.

In the nose: Ah! So nice. Utterly lovely. Soft tropical fruit notes, certainly citrus tones, and just the whiff of pine, as well. And so, so nice.

In the mouth: Bam! Bam, sham-a-lam! Big, sharp, beautiful citrus hop attack at the front, staying strong and bitter, full and fierce and flush with flavor. Piney, pithy, pungent. Full-in bitterness, ripe and juicy, fresh and delicious. Goddamnit, this is right on the money. Just about perfect. Man, oh, man. Mmm, mmm, mmm. It's everything. One of my favorite Double IPAs of recent memories.

On researching their website for publication of this report, I noticed more beers available since that last visit. Breakfast Stout and Modern Sahti are new to the menu. They're just gonna keep pulling me back these guys. Just don't go fall into the whole haze/milkshake trend, or....I don't know....just don't. Please. And I'll be back, again and again.

No comments: