Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The Brewing Projekt Oh Snap! Hazy IPA

The Brewing Projekt Oh Snap! Hazy IPA. With Citra, Simcoe, and Sabro.
6.7 % ABV. The Brewing Project, Eau Claire, WI.

It's a strange time, as we all know. Lately, it's been hard to find a beer around here. (Though it's getting better.) On a particular Wednesday of last week, I set out for some beer, and found the liquor store closest to me, a mere 3 block walk, still boarded up after riots and looting. (Still, today, too.)
I thought about all the stores down the street, most, if not all, named after the street, Lake Wine and Spirits, Chicago-Lake, Hiawatha-Lake, etc, and how they were all looted. And Minnehaha-Lake was burned down. Zipp's, too, closed to looting. My bike had a flat (my tire pump went missing, the bike shop nearby was still closed due to COVID, and the gas stations I would go to to use their pump...burned or closed due to looting), I still don't drive, and I was picking my options due to walking distance, before picking the bus.

These are not complaints. I am not complaining. These are first world problems, white privilege problems. I'm not dead. I'm never been harassed by police due to my race. (Due to other things, but that's another story.) I'm just saying how it is.

So, I head to another store that I thought would be fine, being far from the looting zone. It was all boarded up. There's the looting zone, and the fear of the looting zone. I walk a few more blocks, and head up to a store I thought would be safe and they were putting the final nails in the boards. Okay. Keep on walking, and the next place is open, but the windows are boarded. A manager is guarding the door, keeping the customers inside to a minimum. Masks are mandatory. Everyone is keeping social distance. And I'm impressed at the selection. This place, Franklin-Nicollet Liquors, used to be the closest store to me years ago, and I rarely went there. I'd go out of my way to Zipp's for the better selection. This time, the craft section had widened significantly. Most of my choices for purchase were beers I can get most anywhere, but love to drink. Having so much time off during quarantine means more time to drink. I can only have so much Snapple before I've got to crack open a beer. Got to have the good old good ones. Steel Toe Size 7, Surly Furious, Three Floyds Alpha King, and one more.

I was surprised that they had The Brewing Projekt, which has really been hyped up these days, though I've been skipping them. I look on ye olde Nib, and I've only reviewed two of theirs, one was the Hero Project collaboration with Oliphant, and the other the Cryo Citra Dare Mighty Things IPA. In the review, I said "I hope there are more to come." And this was nearly two years ago.

So why did I pass them over again and again? Price. I just hate the $20 4-pack. I hate it to Hell. And this one was a mere $16 4-pack. Or $15.50 or something. And I bet those $20 4-pack beers are good, and I just might go back to pick some up, if they still have them, because I don't know, maybe the hype is worth it...I still hate that price. This is one reason I will buy Steel Toe Sticker Fight every time I see it, the $11 6-pack price. And it's awesome.

Enough of that jibber jabber, let's talk about this beer:

No slouch in the haze department. Dull orange color. Huge white head, leaving lace, looking good.

In the nose: Pow! Bam! Whoa! Hop resins wafting out with wild abandon, citrus explosion. Nice! Fruity, but dry.

In the mouth: Yow! Powerful meets delightful. Bursting with citrus, profoundly juicy, smooth and delicious. Slight sweetness steps ahead of mild bitterness, swims about til it turns dry on the palate. Easy drinking. Quite consumable. This one goes down well and good.

Again, I went through the first three quickly and with great aplomb, leaving this last one for the review. And I wish I had more. It's very good.


OH SNAP! ⁣
Is that a UFO? Starlink? Space Force? A hazy IPA bulked up with Citra, Simcoe & Sabro hops?!⁣

Probably the last one. ?⁣

Oh Snap is prepped for launch and set to blow your mind.?

No comments: