Thursday, August 18, 2016

Gutenberg American Pale Ale

I'm still trying to wrap my head around gluten-free beers. In the service of that endeavor, I decided to drink a can of Gutenberg American Pale Ale. 5.5% ABV.

Clear, amber-toned, slim white head.

Lightly hoppy, mildly fruity....nice.

In the mouth: Huh. I still don't know how to judge these. It lacks so much in what I'd want from a pale ale, but how does it succeed as a gluten-reduced pale ale? I'm really missing a lot in what I expect out of beer, in terms of flavor. Whatever replaced the malt, it's not doing it for me.

But what if I had to drink this beer? Would I be somewhat satisfied, because I had no choice? It's a little off, a bit weird, but does it have to be?

There's some malty-ish sweetness, but I'm not sure where it comes from.

I'm not mad at it. I can drink it just fine, but it's not really an American Pale Ale, sure as heck doesn't taste like one. Well, if I had to drink this in order to drink a beer, I wouldn't hate it.

No comments: