Sunday, August 28, 2016

Paulaner Oktoberfest-Märzen

Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen, München, since 1634. 5.8% ABV.

Last week, I was paid a visit from a representative of the importer of this beer, and was given this sample. I thanked him, and assured him that I would try to get at least one keg on the lines at Acadia during Oktoberfest season (which I don't believe should begin until September). Last year, I think we only did one German Oktoberfest, and it wasn't from this brewery. I pointed out to him that we had the hefe weizen on tap currently, and it's been popular. Then, later, I was surprised by a fact revealed to me on the internet. The internet of this blog, which told me that no beers from Paulaner have ever appeared here.

What? Can it be true? Yes, in fact, I haven't covered a lot of German beers, because I spend so much time on the American and the local scene, like everyone else. Surely, I've had plenty of them before I began this blog, right? Looking on BeerAdvocate.com, I see reviews of: Helles Lager, Premium Pils, Hefe Weissbier, Salvator Doppelbock, and this one. But, no, I did not return to any of them in the past almost six years. Or at least, if I did, I never thought to use the opportunity to reproduce those old notes here (as is my custom). Well, I'm going to take care of this one right now, drink this sample bottle, and look back at notes from March, 2003:

Distinctly amber color, clear, with creamy, frothy head.
Rich aromas abound, with spicy, herbal, vegetal notes, some floral hints, too.
Great, even perfect balance here, malt and hops are evenly matched. Sweet toffee notes on the palate, terrific tasting, and smooth drinking.
I recall a print ad where a cartoon duck embraces a bottle to declare "we go great together". This probably matches any meal well. Quite nice.

No comments: