Monday, August 29, 2016

Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb

Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb, Paulaner Brauerei, München, Deutschland. 5.5% ABV.

As I said in my recent post about the Paulaner Oktoberfest, I was shocked--shocked!--that their beers haven't appeared here yet. I just so happened to have the Hefe Weizen on tap at Acadia, poured a glass, took a pic, and will now share my old notes on a bottle, from June of 2003:

Appearance: perfectly cloudy straw yellow, with a majestic white head atop.

Aroma: everything you want in a hefe weizen, fresh, citric, fruity, but still somehow dry, straw-like, so very lemony, and that element of yeast fills the nostrils as well.

Excellent texture, great play on the tongue, spicy, but smooth. Fresh, fruity, delicious. Medium bodied, tasty, longish finish, very memorable flavor. The yeast and citrusy taste dominate and create a most adequate beverage for any occasion.

Drinkability? I could toss down a million of them!
I still rank Schneider and Weihenstephaner up above, just slightly, but there's not a thing wrong with Paulaner's offering, not a thing at all.

No comments: