Thursday, August 24, 2017

Disgruntled Guvnor English Amber Ale

Disgruntled Brewing Guvnor, A malt forward English Amber Ale. 5.6% ABV. Canned on 7/17.

My first crowler from Disgruntled, purchased at South Lyndale Liquors last Thursday. I was alerted to their presence there earlier last week, and told that there were only a few left. The hot ones, the IPAs and such were, in fact, sold out, and only the "boring ones", the browns, the pales, the amber, were left. But, you know, even boring beer can be good beer, when it's good.

In the eye: Clear, rich copper-y/amber hue, off-white head. Looking nice.

In the nose: Clean, malty, nutty, earthy. Just enough hops, just enough sweet.

In the mouth: Easy going as they get. Clean and malty, excellent balance and utterly smooth. This is the beer that I was told was their top seller when I first visited the brewery back last year, which caused some consternation to the brewer. He hated making it, he said. Well, if your clientele is tossing this back, and not complaining because isn't Miller Lite, you're doing something right. That was last year, this year they've successfully conquered the beer geek crowd. I haven't been able to return and am sufficiently jealous of those who make it up there for the big beer releases. I can't imagine when I'll be in Perham next, so I'll have to keep hitting the store and hope luck is with me.

I'm still drinking this big ol' crowler and more flavors are developing in the mouth, hops are getting bolder, citrus is shining. Remains on the sweet side, but hops are keeping it from going overboard. This is an overall excellent amber ale, and I recommend it highly.

No comments: