Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Forager Kushy Hops Double IPA

Forager Kushy Hops NE IPA / Double IPA. Galaxy, Citra, and Azacca hops. 8.5 % ABV, 70 IBU.
Forager Brewery, Rochester, MN.

This is the 4th of the four crowlers I brought back with me from Rochester 3 weeks ago. I hope to all the Goodness we know that it isn't another year and a few months until I return.

I love the label on this, and I'm thrilled that they feature such lovely illustrations on their crowlers. Some kind of creature (be it cat or rodent, I can't tell) is luxuriating in his study, caught in contemplation, a hop connoisseur. And maybe a fond imbiber of some other relative of the lupulin plant. I know there's a cannabis reference here, but I'm not enough of a connoisseur of that to ferret it out.

But, to the beer:

Absolute haze. Thick and thoroughly opaque. If you like that. Slim white head. Golden hue.
 Let's go on.

In the nose: Plump, sweet, juicy tropical fruit notes. Papaya, mango, guava. Low bitterness. Pretty fruity, pretty nice.

In the mouth: Buzzes with brilliant bitterness, blazes the palate, treats the tongue. Just enough fresh, brash and bold hop flavor for Hophead Me. Rich and yeasty. Plenty juicy. Damned fine IPA. I enjoyed the heck of it.

This is probably the best expression of the NE IPA style I've ever had. (Keep in mind that I've tried some NE stuff like Trillium, but haven't had the opportunity to review them.) I like this style, but hope that it doesn't replace real American IPAs, West Coast IPAs, etc. I don't like NE IPAs that much. It's a nice diversion, but give me the bitter hops, please.

Juicy double IPA: brewed with barley, wheat, oats, spelt and rye malts. Hopped massively with Citra, Galaxy and Azacca for a tropical, juicy hop bomb. When you need some of the finer hops in life, get Kushy. 


No comments: