Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier Bavarian Style

A few years back, I admitted my shame that I hadn't posted any reviews from this, the world's oldest brewery, the State Brewery of Bavaria, in good ol' Freising, Deutschland. Weihenstephaner. Say it with me: Vey-hen-steph-ahn-ur. Now, fast: Veinstephahner. So, I sat down with a bottle of the Korbinian Doppelbock, and then the Vitus, to redress this great wrong.

But, in the intervening 3 1/2 years, I plumb forgot to return to their biggest hit of the bunch, the Bavarian Hefe Weisse. I procured a bottle, and lo, and behold, I took notes on it way back in March of 2003. Here's what I said then:

Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier Bavarian Style. 5.6% ABV. Premium Bavaricum.

Hazy gold/pale orange in appearance, pouring an enormous, bilious white head.

Aroma is shockingly fresh, floral, citrus, lemon, orange, lively, and lovely.

Light and playful upon the tongue, brief finish, light body, slight texture.

No lemon required, unless you're a certified lily-gilder. Refreshing as a beer can be!

It's still true, all of it. Especially about the lemon. Folks, leave the fruit bits out of your beers. Just....just don't do it.

No comments: