Monday, December 27, 2021

Destihl Christmas Pickle Sour Beer

Destihl Christmas Pickle Sour Beer.


5.2 % ABV, Destihl Brewery, Normal, IL. 

This post will be my 500th post of the year 2021. I have never done 500 posts in one year. (Has anyone?) And that will not be the end. I'll get to a few more in the next 4 days. And then I will try to slow it down some. Every single month, I did over 31 posts, sometimes as many as 51. That's a lot of beer in one year. (And yet, it's not all of them, somehow.There are plenty of beers that I try at taprooms, bars, festivals that don't get reviewed.) I should slow down. Not as young as I used to be. 

So, I will commemorate post 500 with a pickle beer, because, of course, why not. The first time I had a pickle beer was Deep Space Brine at Tin Whiskers last last summer (2020). Ed bought me a sample so I could try it, and yes, it tasted of pickle brine. Next up was from Urban Artifact, a beer called Xmas Pickle, which we sampled at work. What does Christmas have to do with pickles. I wondered. Well now I know.

My sister-in-law Laurie is the CFO of the Destihl Brewery and will always bring Destihl beers to our family holiday gathering when she and my brother Kevin attend. This year they brought along this beer, which was Laurie's idea. Hadn't I heard of the Christmas tradition that apparently some people have of hanging a Christmas pickle ornament on a Christmas tree and challenging others to find it?  No, I hadn't. 

So, they gave me a can and because those are my rules, I must review it and post it here. Here goes. 

Clearish, pickle-briney coloration, slim white head. 

In the nose: Pickle pops out, salt is noted on the side. 

In the mouth: Big, juicy pickle flavor right up front, all brine all the time. Then the tart comes along. Just a little juicy, and just enough tart. More salt comes through, as this is based on a Gose, though I'm not picking up any coriander. Light bodied and definitely drinkable, if you like that flavor. It's more pickle than it is sour, but it certainly does the trick. Knock yourselves out. I for one am glad they only gave me one. 

Brother Kevin decided that a miniature
pickle should join the beer in his glass.
I agreed and followed suit. Sister Jean
in the background is unaware of our
sacrilege.


No comments: