Thursday, December 30, 2021

Bear Republic Double IPA Big-n-Juicy

Bear Republic Hop Shovel Double IPA Big-n-Juicy.


8.8 % ABV, 80 IBU. Bear Republic Brewery, Robert Park, CA. 

Here's a glimpse inside my maniacal mind. You have perhaps noticed that I sometimes pose the beer can or bottle and the glass I am about to consume upon coasters from that brewery, if I can. These are not from my collection, for I don't wait to spill on them or distress their condition in any way. Those are the extras that I keep just in case I need them. 

Today I was at a bar that was utilizing Bear Republic coasters. I examined them and decided that I already had the exact same one and had no need for tucking one away to add to the collection. Except that when I came home and decided that the next beer I should drink and review should be a Bear Republic beer. And that was when I regretted not grabbing a few of their BR coasters, stuffing them in my pocket and bringing back home to add to the pictures. Which nobody notices, anyway, if you can actually see them. 

I need to see a psychiatrist, I think. 

Anyway, let's drink a beer. 

Lightly hazed, bright golden hue, large and brilliant white head. Looking good. 

In the nose: Dank and resiny. Ripe fruit aplenty, citrus and tropical. Grapefruit rind and orange pulp meet juicy guava. 

In the mouth: A bolt of bitterness to the senses and a jolt of juicy on the palate. Bright citrus dominates the flavors, bitterness hangs in hard and sticks around for the finish. Medium bodied, rich in happiness and abundantly rewarding. Dank and delicious. I can always count on great West Coast breweries like Bear Republic to knock it out of the park when it comes to great double IPAs. It's too bad they also have to use current buzzwords like "juicy" to attract customers. 

Big additions of Azacca, Mandarina Bavaria, Meridian, and experimental 13459 give massive juicy hop aromas of Orange and Tangerine with a hoppy West Coast Double IPA finish.

No comments: