Sunday, December 5, 2021

Founders Oktoberfest German-style Märzen

Founders Oktoberfest German-style Märzen.


6% ABV, 20 IBU, Founders Brewing, Grand Rapids, MI. 

I am a bad procrastinator.

Back in October, I bought a 15-pack of this beer once I discovered that I had never had it before and the price was so reasonable. On October 6, I had the first one. Over the next few weeks I had 13 more of them, saving this last one to take notes on. And now, here it is, Nearly two months later. I had lost the desire to drink oktoberfests. But I made that pact with myself so long ago, and I must take notes, so take notes I shall.

Clear, amber-hued, slim white head. 

In the nose: Malty, herbal, floral. Clean. 

In the mouth: More clean, malty, herbal and tasty. Caramel malt flavors with classic Munich malts, noble hops, all done up in the traditional style. Minor hops, but major drinkability and flavor. Good märzen and you can drink it. 

And now I am all done with oktoberfests. No more pumpkin beers, either. On to the winter warmers!

Blink and you’ll think you’re in Bavaria. We went all in on tradition with our Oktoberfest, using imported German malts and hops with a beautiful lager yeast for the finish. Pours a gorgeous copper hue with a rich, malty and slightly sweet backbone. Our version is akin to the beer poured in the early days of Oktoberfest and, yes, it adheres to the Reinheitsgebot. Prost!

No comments: