Friday, December 27, 2019

Oliphant Brewing's The Kindness Trap a Barrel-aged Stout Inspired by True Events

Oliphant Brewing's The Kindness Trap a Barrel-aged Stout Inspired by True Events.
10 % ABV. Oliphant Brewing, Somerset, WI.

So, I made it back to Oliphant last Sunday, for the first time in over 5 months. It was very important that I return before year's end to get the rest of my "free" beers from my Smug Club membership. Time was running out. At last, Jason and I found the right Sunday afternoon to step in and see the taproom before 2019 ends. And I brought my empty growler, although there were only two beers on that I'd never had. One would come home with me in a crowler, but the other, a bourbon barrel aged imperial stout? Would they growler that? They would and they did, and now I am drinking it.

They were also crowlering it, so I got the label to slap on my growler, as seen in accompanying illustration.

Solid blackness, under a thin ochre ring. Looking perfect for the part.

In the nose: Depth and richness abounds. All the high gravity pressures of chocolate, coffee, anise, molasses, and more. Dark fruits, fig, raisin, date.

In the mouth: It's a bomb. Boom! Unmatched deliciousness. First the flavors found in the aroma, and next come all the big, bourbon-y associations. Vanilla pops in, cherries and berries, chocolate, espresso, leather. At times sweet, later dry. Full bodied, long malty finish. All kinds of delicious. Yum, in fact, a dum, dum.

Almost full of farts but surprisingly balanced.

No comments: